Sunday, March 18, 2012

So here is a little more about these incredible empanada's. First I would like to address the fact that there are only two empanadas on the plate in the picture when I clearly state that there were three flavors. Its true, there were three flavors. This is simply explained by the fact that I got excited and ate the first one before I could blog about it. The first empanada I got was a Mexican style jamon y queso (Jam and cheese for you Yankees). It's crust was flaky, crispy and delicate on the outside, with a flowing river of melty white queso and salty jamon on the inside. The second, just queso, was all that was described in the first, simply minus the jamon. Last but certainly not least was the Chilean style baked beef empanada. I can always appreciate this one because it has a unique fold to seal it closed, it has an olive in it (just one!) and it has a hard boiled egg in there too, because why not, right? Plus its baked so that makes it totally healthy for you, duh. So these empanadas were really good but the unsung hero of the meal was the sauce that it came with. It was basically a pico de gallo style salsa with the addition of some hot sauce. I don't think any sauce could have complimented the crispy and cheesy empanadas better than the fresh and spicy salsa  that came in the little plastic mystery cup. Empanada's hold a very special place in my heart, unfortunately that place is my clogged aorta in about 30 years. Is it worth it? Si!


No comments:

Post a Comment